What is Coaching and how is it different from Mentoring?
Coaching helps someone else develop their own approach / solution to an issue that they are facing. On the other hand mentoring is about giving advice, making suggestions and sharing experiences. A mentor draws on their own personal experiences and can act as a sounding board or a guide. Coaching on the other hand is focussed firmly on the future and helps individuals find their own paths. A coach will ask neutral non-leading questions and gives feedback.
What are the benefits of coaching?
As an individual coaching can help you in many ways, a few examples of the benefits of coaching are:
- improved performance
- improved focus
- development of specific skills or behaviours
- improved engagement/motivation
- greater clarity in role to improve impact
- solutions to work-related issues
- direction setting
- improved confidence
- maximizing your strengths, passion and purpose and building on your values.
As a business offering coaching to your employees also has its benefits:
- talent development / retention;
- improved engagement / motivation; and
- increased performance and productivity.
More businesses than ever are now offering mentoring and coaching as a “benefit”. 75% of organisations offer coaching or mentoring to their employees.